In my Stott Pilates training, I studied Pilates equipment as well as matwork. Pilates equipment includes reformer, Cadillac, stability chair, arc barrel, spine corrector, and ladder barrel. Small equipment such as fitness circles and flex-band exercisers can be used to make mat Pilates workouts or equipment workouts even harder or provide more resistance and feedback.
I’ve been amazed at what Pilates equipment can do for the body. Here are 10 reasons why think Pilates – especially with the use of Pilates equipment – is a workout like no other:
1. Pilates is an extreme core workout.
2. Pilates is a full-body workout, lengthening and strengthening your body.
3. Pilates helps develop posture that stands out. It can even make you appear taller and leaner.
4. Pilates prevents and reduces back pain.
5. Pilates helps prevent injuries and is also great for recovery from injuries.
6. Pilates improves flexibility.
7. Pilates makes the other activities and workouts you do more beneficial.
8. Pilates is a fantastic addition to your sport-specific training. Many of the top athletes do Pilates as part of their training to prevent injuries and have the control, strength, and flexibility that is required for their sport. (I began Pilates for my training as a World-level ice dancer.)
9. Pilates is a tough, full-body workout that will leave you feeling refreshed, repaired, and lengthened.
10. Pilates reduces stress, helping create a calm mind.
As an athlete and fitness professional, I’ve tried many different types of exercise. Pilates is one of the ones I swear by … it works. But you can only find out for yourself if you try it. 🙂
Photo Credit: Photo by Sarah Noce at Flickr Creative Commons.